The Chumash tribe wants to buy a 450-acre piece of a contaminated nuclear research land at the Santa Susana Field Laboratory in the hills west of Chatsworth, hoping to preserve a cave that its members consider sacred, reports Steve Chawkins in the Los Angeles Times. But some locals are concerned the purchase might be a back door to building a casino.
- The Toxic Saga Behind Santa Susana Field Laboratory
- 'Nuclear Cowboys' Ran the Field Lab in the 1950s
- Is It Only a Matter of Time? 'I'm a Ticking Time Bomb'
- Chumash looking to acquire portion of Santa Susana Field Lab
- Tribe wants part of contaminated lab