Six cats and three dogs died in a fire in a home in Northridge, and ammunition stored in the garage also exploded, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Firefighters were sent to 6922 N. Calvin Ave. at 4:49 p.m., said Katherine Main of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
She said that "popping sounds" heard at the scene turned out to be ammunition that was stored in the garage.
Three dogs died, but a Pomeranian was given pulmonary resuscitation and survived. Six cats in cages on a patio died from smoke inhalation, she said.
The cause of the fire and the amount of damage caused to the home were not immediately available.
--City News Service