Plumber Accidentally Ignites Blaze at Monarch Christian School

The fire is reported at 6:57 p.m. at 22280 Devonshire St.

A fire at Monarch Christian School in Chatsworth Friday was accidentally ignited by a plumber, a Los Angeles Fire Department official said.

The school is located on the former CHIME School property.

The plumber accidentally ignited insulation with his torch and was unable to control the blaze, Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department said.

"The fire was confined to a restroom wall and attic area in a bungalow," Humphrey said.

The fire was reported at 6:57 p.m. at the school at 22280 Devonshire St. and brought under control in 19 minutes by 10 firefighters, Humphrey said.

No one was injured, Humphrey said.

Witnesses reported smoke in the area and arriving firefighters reported flames in a bathroom area and attic.

The fire caused about $2,000 in structural damage to the area, but the incident should not have a significant impact on school operations Monday morning, Humphrey said.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »