A Chatsworth couple can thank their properly installed smoke alarm for waking them up early Monday morning before flames had a chance to engulf their home.
Firefighters got the call at 3:42 a.m. about a 1-story house fire in the 100000 block of Oso Avenue, said spokesman Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
When they arrived, the house's detached garage was heavily involved with fire and it took 33 personnel about 25 minutes to extinguish it, Humphrey said.
There were no injuries, but firefighters estimated a $70,000 loss in damages.
Said Humphrey: "The blaze was attributed to the spontaneous combustion of items stored adjacent to the home, with flames spreading through a vent to consume the garage, heavily damage a car and threaten the pair sleeping in the residence."