Originally posted at 8 p.m. July 6, 2014. Edited to add photos, details.
A fire that broke out today in one unit of a row of one-story businesses in Northridge took the life of a pet dog but caused no human injuries, authorities said.
The fire broke out about 5:25 p.m. in the 18100 block of Napa Street, according to Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Forty-two firefighters responded and knocked down the flames in 16 minutes, confining the fire to a single business, identified as Iron Designs by Art, Humphrey said.
The dog was found in an office, apparently overcome by smoke, he said.
The blaze did an estimated $80,000 in damage, $50,000 to the structure and $30,000 to its contents, Humphrey said.
Firefighters were able to save the business' records, he said.
The dog appeared to have lived at the business, according to Humphrey.
--City News Service